Keep toads away from your dogs! The venom that toad’s secrete from their skin is very toxic to dogs, especially if ingested. It causes hallucinations, convulsions, weakness, pain, vomiting, diarrhea, cardiac arrest and can even result in death. Two of the most venomous toads in the United States are the Colorado river toad and the giant toad also known as the marine toad.
Because dogs are more curious and extroverted than other animals, they are often treated more often for toad poisoning. However it should be noted that as dangerous as it is for a dog to ingest a toad, ingestion is not the only way for a toad to poison a dog. There have been some cases where a toad or frog have been attracted to the dog’s water dish and left enough toxins in it to leave the dog sick.
If you live in an area where toads reside, then you should limit your pet’s exposure to warm, moist, outdoor environments, especially in areas that are located in the desert southwest. A few symptoms that most likely indicate that your pet has been poisoned by a toad or frog are as follows:
- Mouth irritation
- Foamy salivation
- Collapsing of the body or hind legs
- Difficulty breathing
If your pet ate, licked or somehow came into contact with a toad some other way, you should not hesitate to flush his mouth with water to remove traces of the toxin. If your dog is experiencing any of these symptoms it is also crucial that you get him or her to a vet immediately for medical assistance. An electrocardiogram may even be conducted to determine whether your pet has an abnormal heart rhythm. Although there is currently no way to find the presence of the toxin in dogs, diagnosis can usually be made based on whether the pet was seen eating a toad or if toad parts are found in the gastrointestinal tract.
Your veterinarian may give your pet cardiac drugs such as propranolol to combat abnormal heart rhythms. Anxious, frightened or painful pets may need sedatives. Pets suffering from a high fever may be benefit from being given a cool bath. A hospital stay with intravenous fluids is very likely, with your pet’s heart monitored by an electrocardiograph.